Learning and Preparation
- 2013 to 2015 Advanced training under guidance of Master Calligraphers Davud Bektaş in Jeli Sülüs style and Mustafa Parıldar in Jeli Talik style, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2006 to 2013 Student of Master Calligrapher Mohamed Zakariay. Granted Ijazah (Master Calligrapher Degree in Taliq Style in April 2013
- 1998 to 2009 Student of Istanbul Master Calligrapher Hasan Celebi. Granted Ijazah (Master Calligrapher Degree in Thuluth and Nasikh Styles) in 2009.
- 1989 to Present Developed and polished a modern form of the art of Arabic calligraphy.
- 1970s to 1998 Self-taught in the classical styles of Arabic calligraphy
- The Smithsonian National Postal Museum
- The Arab American National Museum, Dearborn, MI, USA
- Istanbul Technical University, İTÜ, Ayazağa, Istanbul, Turkey
- “The International Virtual Exhibition for the Arts of Arabic Calligraphy”, Kuwait, Group of international artists, Started, October 25, 2020
- “Beauty in Solitude,” with Mohamed Zakariya and three of his licensed students, Virtual Exhibit by the Reed Society for the Sacred Arts, May 24, 2020, on-going.
- “Public Art Program,” Farmington Hills City Hall, Dec. 12, 2018 to Dec. 12, 2020, invited.
- “Gifts of Art,” University of Michigan Health System, September 17 – December 9, 2018 (Solo)
- “Master Hasan Celebi and His Students,” Marmara Ilahiyat Mosque, Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey, April 20 to May 7, 2018
- “Image and Meaning: Arabic Calligraphy Designs by Nihad Dukhan,” University of Detroit Mercy, August 28 – October 27, 2017 (Solo)
- “Sculpting in Two Dimensions: Modern Calligraphy Designs by Nihad Dukhan,” Süleyman Demirel Cultural Center, Istanbul Technical University (İTÜ AYAZAĞA), Istanbul, Turkey, Feb. 26 to April 1st, 2016 (Solo).
- “See No Evil: Classical Arabic/Islamic Calligraphy by Nihad Dukhan,” Birmingham Unitarian Church, 38651 Woodward Ave, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304, Feb. 26 to April 1st, 2016 (Solo)
- “Spiritual Geometry: Modern and Classical Works from Michigan and Istanbul Collections,” Süleyman Demirel Cultural Center, İTÜ AYAZAĞA, Istanbul Ruhani Geometri: Modern ve Klasik Hat Sanatı Sergisi, Michigan ve İstanbul koleksiyonlarından. İTÜ AYAZAĞA KAMPÜSÜ, SDKM VIP SALON, February 2 to 27, 2015 (Solo)
- “Contemporary Arabic Calligraphy by Nihad Dukhan,” Loyola Museum of Art, Chicago, Illinois, September 25 2010 to January 16, 2011 (Solo)
- “Syntax” Turchin Center for the Visual Arts, Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, 4 invited artists, March 5 to June 5, 2010.
- “International Festival of Arabic Calligraphy,” Musée National de l’Enluminure, de la Miniature et de la Calligraphie, Algiers, Invited by Ministry of Culture, ALGERIA, May 28 to June 4, 2009
- “Exhibition of Islamic Calligraphy,” The Gallery of Dolan Science Center, John Carroll University, University Heights, OH, April 23, 24, 2009 (2-artist show).
- “Expression of Al-Nakba,” by www.expressionsofnakaba.org. International Traveling Muli-Media Exhibit, May 15, 2008. (2 pieces among 24 selected from 300 international entries from 16 countries).
- “Arts for the Spirit,” Oakwood Hospital, Dearborn, MI, February 2008.
- “Arabic, Asian, and European Calligraphy Traditions from Ancient to Contemporary Times,” Mansfield Art Center, Mansfield, OH, June 24 to August 12, 2007.
- “An Alternative Space: Islamic Art in America,” Mizane Gallery, Reston, VA, June 29 to August 24, 2007.
- “National Islamic Art Festival,” National Islamic Arts and Culture Foundation, Reston, VA, May 19, 2007
- “Appreciating Arts,” Marvin Center, George Washington University, Washington, DC, 7 artists, May 2nd, 2007.
- “Venus of Willendorf: Redefining the Goddess,” Duderstadt Gallery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, group show, Feb. 9 – 27, 2007.
- “Calligraphy: The Art of Beautiful Writing,” Tresor Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA, Nov. 3- December 15, 2006.
- “Artists Among Us,” the Rotunda Gallery, organized by the Wayne County Council for the Arts, History and Humanities, Dearborn, MI, October 5-27, 2006
- “Every Curve, Every Dot,” Solo Exhibit, the Jerusalem Fund Art Gallery, Washington, DC, September 8 to October 27, 2006. (Solo)
- Dearborn Heights City Hall: November 6 -December 1st, 2000.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Muslim Student Association, October 1st to 25th, 2000. 5
- DePaul University- Department of Religious Studies: “Exploring Muslim Cultures”, March 31 to July 15, 2000, 2 Calligraphers.
- Lake County College- Illinois: “An Arabian Cultural Mosaic”, September 26, 1999.
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin – Arabian Festival, September 17-19, 1999.
- Chicago – Middle East Studies Association Conference. November 1998.
- Toledo’s Botanical Gardens, Toledo, Ohio, June 1998.
- Brooklyn Museum of Art and the World Music Institute: “Fourth Festival of Arab World Culture”, New York, New York, May 9th and 10th, 1998.
- Washington Square Art Festival, New York, New York, May 1997.
Please find the full copy of Dr. Dukhan’s latest curriculum vitae: Dukhan Calligraphy CV.